Founded in 1948 by Des Smith and Dan Tracey, fellow graduates of the Architecture Atelier at Melbourne University, smith+tracey built its reputation on education, community and religious projects throughout Melbourne and regional Victoria.
Working initially from their respective home studios and holding “office meetings” weekly in the Spencer Street Station car park, Des and Dan developed their practice into a well respected firm designing the Ukrainian Cathedral in North Melbourne; one of Melbourne’s architectural icons.
Since its inception, smith+tracey has nurtured many of Melbourne’s leading architects and designers. The doors have always remained open to the staff and consultants who have collaborated with us through the company’s existence, both as ‘Smith Tracey Lyone and Brock’ and its ultimate resumption back to ‘smith+tracey architects’.
Smith+tracey is now 67 years young and continually evolving.